April 18, 2018
What do we mean by “personal information”?
For us, “personal information” means information which identifies you, like your name or email address.
Any information that falls outside of this is “non-personal information”.
If we store your personal information with information that is non-personal, we will consider the combination as personal information. If we remove all personal information from a set of data then the remaining is non-personal information.
How do we learn information about you?
We learn information about you when:
- You give it to us directly (e.g., when you choose to send us logs for support or other purposes)
- We collect it automatically through our software and services (e.g., in statistics provided by Google Analytics)
- When we try and understand more about you based on information you’ve given to us (e.g., when we use your platform information to figure out which platforms use our products the most, to better understand where we should focus our efforts)
What do we do with your information once we have it?
Generally, we use your information to help us provide and improve our software and services for you (e.g., we use a log you send us to figure out why a product is not working as expected or why it might have crashed, or we determine how many active users are using each platform in order to determine how to allocate resources per platform).
When do we share your information with others?
- When we have asked and received your permission to share it.
- When the law requires it. To date, this has never happened, and we do not anticipating it happening in the future, as the majority of the information we collect is already almost entirely anonymous and never shows unique user behavior, except in voluntarily submitted logs.
- If our organizational structure or status changes (if we undergo a restructuring, are acquired, or go bankrupt) we may pass your information to a successor or affiliate.
How do we store and protect your personal information?
We are committed to protecting your personal information once we have it. We implement physical, business and technical security measures. Despite our efforts, if we learn of a security breach, we’ll notify you so that you can take appropriate protective steps.
We also don’t want your personal information for any longer than we need it, so we only keep it long enough to do what we collected it for. Once we don’t need it, we take steps to destroy it unless we are required by law to keep it longer. In the case of logs provided to us, our servers do not store those logs, and we rely on the users submitting those logs to remove the links when they deem appropriate.
What else should you know?
If you are under 13, we don’t want your personal information, and you must not provide it to us. If you are a parent and believe that your child who is under 13 has provided us with personal information, please contact us to have your child’s information removed.
We may need to change this policy and our notices. The updates will be posted online. If the changes are substantive, we will announce the update through Kasa’s usual channels for such announcements such as blog posts. Your continued use of the product or service after the effective date of such changes constitutes your acceptance of such changes. To make your review more convenient, we will post an effective date at the top of the page.